Douglas West

Castle Terrace

A small mining village

With only a handful of buildings still standing, and nature taking course, its hard to believe this was once a bustling wee mining village. This photo of Castle Terrace, with the school in the background and Clyde Row (known locally as Red Row), shows just how many buildings are now lost. If visiting The West today, you may just struggle to imagine it as its former glory.

The forgotten station

Douglas West Station served the village from 1896 until it was closed by British Railways in 1964. It consisted of two platforms connected by a footbridge, a main station building on the Westbound platform, a signal box on the Southbound platform, and the station house could be found closer to the village

Many residents remember visiting the signal man as children, and getting to phone the signal box at Inches Station, which at the time was located just beyond where Glespin is today.

Carousel imageCarousel imageCarousel imageCarousel imageCarousel image